- Around a 100 million years ago, India was an island.
- India gave the world Yoga, that has existed for more than 5,000 years.
- Takshila is said to be the first every university in the world; it started around 700 BC.
- Varanasi is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.
5. India has more mosques (300,000 mosques) than any other nation in the world.
6. The Tirupati Balaji temple receive more visitors than the Vatican City and Mecca combined.
7. Number of births in India every year is more than the total population of Australia, and many other nations.
8. India has the largest English speaking population in the world.
9. Chai is India’s national drink.
10. India has the largest amount of vegetarians in the world.
- So much so that Pizza Hut had to open their first pure vegetarian restaurant in the country.
- And KFC had to introduce a “vegetarian” menu for India.
- And so did McDonalds, the world’s largest fast-food manufacturer.
11. The world’s largest road network is in India—over 1.9 million miles of roads cover the country.
12. India leads the world with the most murders (32,719) per year, with Russia taking second at 28,904 murders per year.
13. In a village called Shani Shingnapur in Maharashtra, people have been living in houses with no doors for generations.
- This is because they believe that whoever steals anything from this place will incur the wrath of Shani God and will have to pay for his/her sins very dearly. There is no police station in this village either .
14. India’s first rocket was brought on cycle and a satellite on bullock cart.
15. India is one of the only three countries that makes supercomputers (the US and Japan are the other two).
16. India has never invaded or attacked a country.
17. Buttons were invented in India. Yes, your shirt’s buttons.
- Chess was invented in India.
- We also invented the ruler.
- And shampoo.
- And discovered the number zero.
- And the value of pi.
- And trigonometry, algebra, calculus.
- And cataract surgery
- And plastic surgery.
- And diamond mining.
- And water on the moon